These are great fun to make with family and friends and taste delicious with a cup of tea or coffee.
100g vegan butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
100g dark muscovado sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
225g plain flour
50g icing sugar (for icing – optional)
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar together in a small pan, stirring on a low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift and mix together the bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and flour in a large bowl. Stir in the butter, syrup and sugar mixture, then bring together to form a dough with your hands. If needed, add up to 1 tbsp of plant-based milk or water to help combine. The dough will be quite soft, but will firm up in the fridge.
- Roll the dough out on a sheet of baking paper, and lay another sheet of parchment on top of it. Roll to a thickness of about ½cm. Place the dough sandwiched between the baking paper on a baking tray and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut out shapes using cookie cutters or a knife, etc.
- Place the shapes, spread apart, on baking paper on a baking tray, and bake for 10-12 mins. Leave to cool.
- If you would like to add icing, mix the icing sugar with 1-2 tbsp water, adding a little at a time – creating a consistency that’s thick and not too thin or it will run. Spoon or spread the icing on the cookies and leave to set.
Based on this recipe 🙏❤️